Back

Burgess Park outdoor cooking facilities reopen for Spring

With spring approaching, the outdoor cooking facilities at Burgess Park will reopen on April 5. Following a successful trial last year, the electric hotplates are now a permanent feature, offering a safe and sustainable space for community gatherings.
Burgess Park outdoor cooking facilities

The hotplates have become a popular spot for residents, providing a space for families, friends, and community groups to cook and socialise outdoors. 

To enable more people to enjoy the facilities, the council plans to increase the number of hotplates available - subject to feedback from residents. 

Councillor Portia Mwangangye, Cabinet Member for Leisure, Parks, and Young People, said: “Last year’s trial proved how popular these outdoor cooking facilities are, so we’re delighted to reopen them again this year. Making them permanent would reflect our commitment to providing safe, enjoyable spaces where residents can come together and celebrate our community’s rich cultural diversity.”

Valarie Rosa, Latin Elephant, said: “This is a good opportunity for the diverse communities around Burgess Park to enjoy an accessible, free outdoor eating space after the closure of the BBQ's. It provides a welcoming environment for those who may not have access to a private outdoor area in a rapidly regenerated borough like Southwark, fostering inclusivity and social cohesion”.

The council encourages all users to stick to health and safety guidelines, use the facilities responsibly, and dispose of waste properly.

The electric hotplates are available daily until the end of summer, from 10:00am until 8:30pm in April and 9:00pm in May.  

For more information, please visit www.southwark.gov.uk/outdoorcooking.

Date
2 April 2025